Leadership in Action
What is the Leadership in Action Program?
Do you want to make a lasting impact in your community?
Through the CSL's Leadership in Action program (formerly, Global Leadership Experience), students will learn and apply leadership concepts in increasingly interdependent domestic and global societies. Aligned with the Center's overall mission, the Leadership in Action program is designed to provide opportunities for students to become actively engaged and positively contribute to their communities. Students will work alongside government and non-profit organizations to help address and provide relief to societal concerns.
What will my role include as a participant?
- Earn documented volunteer service hours
- Travel to domestically to help rebuild homes damaged by natural disasters
- Travel to Tampa and explore homelessness awareness issues and strategies in the area
- Work in committees to plan events for KSU's Homelessness Awareness Week
- Host students from partnering universities during KSU’s Homelessness Awareness Week
- At the completion of the program, participants will work to create a team project designed to showcase their achieved objectives throughout the KSU community
- Make a lasting impact in your local and national communities
What are the trip dats?
The 2018-2019 dates are TBD.
What are the costs?
- Tampa -‐ No registration fee, only the cost to cover some meals*
- New Orleans -‐ $240 (cost includes: lodging for trip, some meals and a ticket to the Hurricane Katrina Museum)*
*These are subject to change depending on funding.
Do I need previous experience to participate?
No, each experience will provide the necessary pre-departure preparation needed for the experience.
What type of transportation is utilized during the trips?
Both trips are designed to drive students to each city by way of 12-passenger vans.
Will I need any safety equipment?
No, the CSL will provide any tools or safety equipments necessary for the trips.
Are meals covered in the costs?
The CSL will cover most group meals, but students are expected to pay for some individual meals. This varies based on the trip destination and the funding we receive.
Is there a GPA requirement to participate in this program?
Students must be considered in good academic standing to participate.
Is there any physical work involved?
Yes, both experiences are designed to have volunteer opportunities where participants will be expected to contribute.
Am I required to attend all meetings prior to and after the trips?
Yes, attendance to all trip related meetings is mandatory for participation. Students who do not attend these meetings will not be able to travel with the group.
Will my service be counted towards volunteer hours?
Yes, all volunteer hours are documented through Volunteer KSU (VKSU) and made accessible to participating students.